On Tue, 2016-06-28 at 14:28 +0000, John D. Ament wrote:
> All,
>
> Its been discussed a few times, and I'd like to provide clear feedback to
> the infra team on how to implement going forward.

I don't recollect it being discussed in these terms.  Could it
be that it's appeared as a sub-thread of some other discussion?

> Typically, the addresses $podling.apache.org and $
> podling.incubator.apache.org work, and have worked for a while.

Indeed.  The downside is that it's potentially confusing.
Especially if a marketing department sees it and prefers to
reference the URL without "incubator".

Perhaps it would make sense for $podling.apache.org to
issue a 302 redirect to the incubator?  Then it's there
for people and search engines, but the potential for
being accidentally misleading is much reduced.

> This is a call to vote on whether the IPMC agrees to this or not.  If they
> do, I will ask infra to further clean this up, as DNS seems to be an issue
> at times for podlings.  The benefit is that for SEO, the website URL does
> not change.
>
> I'm going to leave this open for 72 hours, at least and hope for some
> binding votes on this subject.

> [+1] I want the two URLs to both work the same.
> [+/- 0] Don't care
> [-1] I want the $podling.incubator.apache.org URL to be the one that works,
> including emails.

I think this voting scheme scheme is broken: it triggers a
natural bias to +1, even if you'd reversed the options!
(this was a big issue in gerrymandering our referendum -
there have been academic studies on how the question
affects how people vote).

Anyway, -1 (binding), at least until my points above about
potential for misleading have been answered.

--
Nick Kew