[orcmid]

This signing had nothing to do with MIME-signatures or SSL.  It is a plaintext
message that has a "clearsign" OpenPGP signed section in-line in the message
body.  (The signed part was created first and then pasted into the plaintext
email.)  You can see the archived form at
<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/openoffice-announce/201607.mbox/browser>
 where it is the only message there. At the bottom of the HTML-formatted
display of the message, select the "Unnamed text/plain" link to see a cleaner
plaintext.

This is not unlike the .asc files that can be made as external PGP signatures
of code, except it is inline instead of external to the file being signed.

> > (I made another check of the archived message too.  The raw form of
> the message fails to verify when downloaded and that appears to be on
> account of some encoding features that have to be processed properly for
> the original text to be reconstituted properly. That might or might not
> be relevant to how that recipient's email reader handles PGP
> > signatures.)
[orcmid]

(If you look at the raw version on the archive, you will see a pile of =20 line
endings that make the raw form unverifiable.  And because the signature block
has a line ending in =, there is an appended raw "3D" that breaks the whole
thing. A client that does not restore the plaintext before checking the
signature will claim that the signature is "BAD".)

PS: I sent the same message to a colleague who has a PGP-aware email client,
and the message verified automatically and was presented without the boundaries
and the signature block.  Instead, there was a marker that indicated the part
of the message that was signed.  So it would appear that the person who
reported to me encountered an interoperability failure.

[ ... ]