For Wicket I've crafted a release script that not only creates the
artifacts to vote on, but also generates the messages needed for
voting and announcing, and scripts to either promote or rollback a
release.

https://github.com/apache/wicket/blob/master/release.sh

It uses the aforementioned settings for the release plugin, and more. Features:

- checks if the release is mentioned in the changelog
- checks if there's a remote staging git repository
- asks for the new version number
- opens/closes/promotes releases in repository.apache.org
- generates messages for vote email, announce email
- pushes release candidate to private staging repository
- generates promote and revert scripts

Martijn