On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 12:49 PM, John D. Ament <johndam...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 12:42 PM Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>
>> The first stage would be migrating existing lists to LDAP.  This will
>> require some small changes to whimsy and the phone book application.
>> The whole effort will only take a few hours and be spread over a few
>> days elapsed time.
>>
>> To prepare, we will need to decide who gets to modify these lists, and
>> who gets notified.  I propose that members of podlings be able to modify
>> the list, and the private list associated with that podling be notified
>> on changes.  Alternate choices would include mentors for the podling, or
>> the IPMC.  Given that notification facilitates oversight, I encourage
>> this to be pushed down to the podling, but will go with whatever the
>> consensus turns out to be.
>
> My vote would be for mentors to be able to do this.  The podlings don't
> know enough yet to manage this on their own.  I would be concerned of
> missed process steps if the podling themselves could do it.

See Mark's comment, and my response to it.

>> The second stage would be to define an interface for adding (and perhaps
>> removing) podlings.  This could be limited to the IPMC and the web
>> interface could ensure that it is only possible to create entries that
>> are present in podlings.xml.
>>

> Could this lead to the eventual removal of podlings.xml ?

It could lead to where-ever the IPMC wants to go. :-)

My preference is that the canonical definition be in SVN, git, LDAP or
some such, and that tools like whimsy remain only a convenient
mechanism to update these definitions.

> Does any of this have a relationship to projects.apache.org ?

At a minimum, both would derive information from a common source.

My understanding is that the focus of projects.apache.org is to
provide a public-facing and read-only interface to this data.

The whimsy roster tool would provide an authenticated read-write
interface to this data.  And a non-exclusive one.  Other tools could
be written that update that information.

- Sam Ruby