cc += gstein

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 9:55 PM, Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org> wrote:
> Did this conclude..? Just in case it didn't, here's my +1 as well to
> make podling membership be in proper LDAP groups; with email
> notifications to private@podling as you mention.

This did not conclude, but you picked an opportune time to resurrect
this thread with Greg joining the infrastructure team.  In fact, I was
planning to restart this thread for exactly that reason; thank you for
doing it.

My assessment previously was that there wasn't enough demand at the
time to overcome inertia.  This change will undoubtedly break things
temporarily, but nothing that can't be fixed quickly.

> (I am lucky enough to have faced the asf-authorization-template a
> couple of times :) )

Join the club. :-)  The current process sucks, doesn't it.  :-)

> Ensuring people.apache.org is updated would also make it easier for
> podlings to refer to a canonical list of who are their members; which
> would work somewhat the same way after graduating.

That's part of the discussion I would like to have.  I'm proposing
that members of the podling can update the group.  Currently only PMC
chairs can modify PMCs.  And furthermore, PMC chairs can modify *any*
PMC, not just the one(s) they chair.

I'd like to change this so that PMC members can modify their own
group.  And I believe that the increased notifications that this tool
will provide will enable proper oversight.

I also believe this to be fully in line with the President's (Ross's)
desire to enable self-service.

But a change of this magnitude to the way that we operate is something
that requires a critical mass of support.  Thanks for lending your
voice to this discussion.

> Letting podling members modify the group themselves is good (as you
> said the worst they can do is add another committer), as long as we'll
> keep the account creation process under the hands of ASF Members (as
> it is now).

ASF members and officers.

By the way, if you ever want to submit an account request, you might
want to try https://whimsy.apache.org/officers/acreq/; it loads much
faster than https://id.apache.org/acreq/; if you like it, spread the
word.

- Sam Ruby