Yes, the timing is quite good, given what's happening with Kenai. I imagine
that everything will transfer from NetBeans to Apache in stages, as
outlined near the start/middle of this thread. Indeed, plugins.netbeans.org
would be one of the last things to migrate, though many solutions are
imaginable, e.g., if not at Apache, then one of the organizations providing
individual contributors to NetBeans Apache might volunteer to host them,
for example. Or a university or school where NetBeans is used could
volunteer. In an absolutely worst case scenario, though still doable, every
author of a plugin would host that plugin themselves and we'd simply
aggregate all the update centers (i.e., these are simply XML files pointing
to the plugin binaries) from Apache. Even that is doable, though not ideal.
So solutions aplenty.

Gj