Linux never was on hg, so the comparison doesn't fit.

To be more clear: I'm not concerned that GIT cannot handle the NetBeans repo
size.

But we cannot guarantee yet that the import from hg to GIT doesn't loose
important information or works at all.

Another  goal is to figure out if binaries got committed in the past. That
would blow up the repo size but don't help us. Actually we might even be
forbidden to have those binaries in our repo at the ASF...

LieGrue,
strub