> git clone of the Linus' repo takes 3 minutes.
>
> The hg clone of netbeans took 5 HOURS!

This is surely dependent on the network and the server the git/hg client
talks to.

> The repo size is 3.6GB. But it contains many binaries which we could
> probably strip off.
> I really don't like to have a Hibernate jar file in an official ASF repo ;)

There may be some ancient leftover binaries, but since I can remember
external JARs have been saved outside the mercurial repository here:
http://hg.netbeans.org/binaries/ and are automatically downloaded when
necessary at build time (and cached in ~/.hgexternalcache).

I see hibernate files on http://hg.netbeans.org/binaries/ going as far as
2008 so they should not be in the mercurial repo.

> I'm sure you've read this by now, but HG seems a better fit for these
> > larger
> > projects:
> > https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/1unehr/
> scaling_mercurial_at_facebook/
> >
> > All this to say: I would tread carefully. Out of curiosity, is there a
> > reason that Apache projects can't use Mercurial?

+1

Mercurial is a mainstream open-source DVCS the same age as git. It also
supports history rewriting.

All the existing NetBeans contributors are used to mercurial and while git
is in theory similar to mercurial I often find myself googling for the most
basic git things (hg rollback in git being something I can never remember).

--emi