On 2016-09-25 05:22, Geertjan Wielenga wrote:
It really is impossible for us to follow all the (in many cases
contradictory) advice we have been given re the initial contributors list.

Hi GeertJan,

I've gone through this whole thread again and IMO there really isn't so much
contradictory advice :-)

The general advice really is, including from the NetBeans Champion and other
mentors to not blow up the initial contributor list before the acceptance
of the project.

The argument Roman Shaposhnik brought forward about a past case where he had to
deal with a single individual who felt left out, IMO is/was just a single case.
Relevant for sure, but AFAIK also very uncommon and more like a one-off case.

The other, and very valid, point brought from Roman was that it should be made
very clear what criteria was used to select the initial committer list.
Further down I'll provide *my view* on what that criteria is or should be.

But I'll start with disagreeing with the second part of his point, that (quote):
  "IT MUST BE THE SAME for when somebody comes-a-knocking".

Disagreeing with this might seems odd and at odds with how the ASF works, but I
think it does not, or at least, it will not.

For a project as large and with such a huge history as NetBeans, there is no
way we (ASF) will be able to *judge* who is rightfully put on that list, nor
who has been left out erroneously.

Meaning: a 'complete' initial committer list (for such a project) never can be
put together proper.
Trying to do so, like by going through all the history and enumerating all past
contributors, IMO is a bad idea and will make things worse and more unclear,
even more 'unfair'.

And such a list will most certainly NOT be proper from an ASF POV, in the sense
that we strive for a healthy and active committers and (P)PPMC list of people
seriously engaged NOW. Project members who actually "do" stuff (doers decide).

Past contributors who do want to re-engage again most certainly need to be
valued and be admitted to become committer, but IMO better do this *when* they
come knocking (actively) than enlisting them upfront.

Having to 'prune' a huge, and likely too huge, list of initial committers
before NetBeans graduates to TLP is going to be far more 'painful' than voting
in active contributors when they actively show up.
Which also is far more in line with "the Apache Way", more 'fair' so to say.

Coming back to the maybe odd POV that the selection criteria for initial
commmitters list does not have to be the same as that for future committers.
IMO it simply cannot be 'equal' for a project like NetBeans.

The primary role and responsibility for such initial committers is to get the
project rolling and admit new committers base on *their* judgement.
So the most important, and IMO only crucial, criteria for selecting the initial
committers list is that those people are trusted to "do this right".

They can and will vote in new committers as soon as they come knocking, based
on their past contribution *and* their (intended) active participation.
Based on merit for the *new* Apache NetBeans project, not (just) their past
contributions, no matter how small/large that might have been.

And for that reason, an initial committers list must be fairly sized, with
enough diversity, spread out interest, and with recognition and be trusted by
the NetBeans community. And then: stop there.

The initially proposed committers list IMO already was 'good enough'
for this purpose. And AFAICT nobody questioned the list to be unfair or not
'good enough'. Of course adding one or two extra who were overlooked and are
expected to help make a difference and speed up the process still is fine.

So my strong advise is to stick to the original list.
And to first discuss it with the Bertrand as Champion and the other mentors
before modifying the proposal further.

Kind regards, Ate

Here's what I propose:

1. We make the initial contributors list as detailed as we can, i.e., I
have already started doing this, grouping individual contributors in
specific categories and also indicating which ones have contributed in the
past, in most cases the recent past, i.e., these are the ones with most
direct skills who are likely to begin contributing as soon as possible.
Yes, most of these are from Oracle, which makes sense since we're moving to
Apache precisely in order to open up the governance model so that more can
participate.
2. When in doubt, we will follow the advice of our mentors over the advice
of those who are not our mentors.
3. We will show in the initial contributors list what each of the initial
contributors is planning to contribute, as concretely as possible, to show
that we have a list of contributors who really want to and are planning to
contribute as soon as they're able to do so.
4. I don't believe anyone will fork NetBeans for not being on the initial
contributors list nor do I believe that anyone will want to be on the
initial contributors list as some kind of desire for status -- everyone on
the list is known in one way or another in the community or has worked on
NetBeans for years from within Oracle. These are all people who are
committed to NetBeans and to its future in Apache.
5. At the end of incubation, we will go through the list very thoroughly.
Anyone who has not contributed will be contacted to confirm that they'd
like to be removed from the list before we become a TPL. I see no problems
in that regard, I'm sure people who don't end up committing will have no
problem being removed from the list at that stage and being voted in again
if/when they change their mind later.

Hope the above works for everyone and thanks everyone for all the energy
everyone is putting into this process.

Thanks,

Geertjan

On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 3:47 AM, Shane Curcuru <a...@shanecurcuru.org>