On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 11:23 AM Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de.invalid>
wrote:

> Stian, this is established practice in the ASF since the very early days
> of playing with GIT.
> It is used e.g. in the following TLPs:
> TomEE
> DeltaSpike
> Johnzon
> CouchDB
> Maven
> and many, many more!
>

> It also got discussed on members, infra and even board lists.

This is all discussed long ago.  Many enhancements have been made since
then.  It doesn't mean that either side is wrong though.  I would say its
OK to have the tag on an unofficial mirror.

> The nice thing about GIT is that it absolutely doesn't matter where I push
> the commit to as long as the sha1 of the commit later pushed to the ASF
> repo is the same.
>

> Regarding 'pushing something different'. I trust an ASF member that he
> doesn't do that. Plus we have the sha as explained before.
> Regarding 'not getting pushed at all': This would get catched pretty
> quickly as we would miss the version update ;)
>

> Also bear in mind that ASF projects do NOT vote on the tags nor branches -
> we solely vote on the release source distributable!
>

> > branches are there to be created and removed again
> Branches in GIT _cannot_ get removed from any downstream repo!

This is incorrect.  Infra specifically maintains protected and unprotected
branches.  Unprotected branches can be deleted and get sync'd on next push.