On 11 Nov 2016 6:18 am, "Luke Han" <luke...@apache.org> wrote:

> It's really not easy for Chinese people, they have to find out a way to
> access
> gmail or others since there's GFW, they are not native English speakers,
> they have limited experiences for open source especially the Apache Way.
> But they are willing to contribute, willing to participate global
> community, and try
> their best to learn and follow The Apache Way. We should have the patience
> for those new comers.

The warnings about firewalls are important as many ASFers (myself included)
are now gradually falling in love with third-party providers like GitHub
for ASF projects; but if those services are blocked (for arbitrary other
reasons), then that could cut off whole countries of potential developers
for the benefit of a slightly shinier button for the rest.

We can hope it helps that ASF is a non-profit and largely political-free
organisation (beyond internal and open source policies!) and that *.
apache.org is not generally blocked, but I guess even that could happen.

I hope people are not under the impression that you need to have access to
Google to contribute to Apache projects, any email system which can contact
and receive from @apache.org should work!  SMTP is still pretty resilient,
even if it takes days for a messagr to get through a "manual firewall" it
could still be compatible with 72h voting rules etc.