Thanks,   John..    we do have a new PR that intends to address these
issues (currently only in master):
https://github.com/apache/incubator-trafficcontrol/pull/285

I intend to examine that tomorrow morning and pull it in to 1.8 if all
looks good -- there will be a few changes needed to address diffs
between 1.8 and master,  but not significant.   If you have a chance
to look at that PR and give a thumbs-up,  it would help greatly..

thanks for all your help.. Dan