On Sun, Mar 5, 2017 at 8:53 PM, Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org> wrote:
> Thanks Daniel, I should have thought of that, since that is how I noticed
> it.
>
> So, then the question should have been;
>
> Are we ok with podlings using GH "Issues" instead of ASF-hosted issue
> tracker?
>
> Are we ok that discussions happen on pull requests and commits?
>
> I am a little bit uneasy about it, but does the Incubator as a whole have
> an opinion/resolution on it?

This was discussed in <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-249>.

The main principle to be upheld is that all dev decisions need to be made on
the dev list, for all the reasons that experienced Apache community members
are familiar with.  In addition, when people contribute, their intent to
contribute needs to be captured to an Apache-archived channel.

Serializing changes to an ASF mailing list can suffice for both purposes -- if
done well.

We accept a certain amount of data loss going from an issue tracker to a
mailing list. JIRA's state is not fully reproducible -- if somebody attaches a
file and then deletes it later, that file is likely gone even if there were
notifications sent to a mailing list.  So the same sort of data loss from
Github issues is not a problem either.

However, it's important that the serialization of communiques be both complete
and user-friendly enough that someone on the mailing list can participate
fully.

So, the questions I would ask are, are all those comments making it to the
list?  And are the podling participants showing through their actions that
they understand inclusiveness, by ensuring that dev list readers are able to
follow along?

For what it's worth, on one dev list I'm on, pull requests make it to the dev
list, but commenting on a commit via the Github interface only triggers a
private notification -- the comment never makes it to our dev list.  We mostly
avoid Github commit comments for that reason, so inclusiveness is not harmed
-- but people new to Apache might not handle things that way.

Marvin Humphrey