On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 5:06 PM, John D. Ament <johndam...@apache.org> wrote:

> Agreed, however this is where it gets complicated (and at least needs to be
> clear to the contributors, or maybe I'm the only one thinking this is
> confusing/not obvious).  The ASF accepts contributions from individuals,
> not companies.  So while people may contribute to DLog as employees as
> Twitter, the assumption is that you're doing so with the understanding that
> these are individual contributions, e.g. you're eligible to license the
> code under the Apache License.

We assume that individuals who contribute have the right to do so, whether
they are contributing material which they hold the copyright to, or whether
they are contributing company material on the company's behalf.  We don't
document the distinction between those cases.  In some jurisdictions,
distinguishing who owns what gets very complicated -- but it doesn't matter to
us since we trust the individual that everybody who might hold copyright is OK
with the contribution.

> The end date of the NOTICE would always be
> when the SGA was sent to the ASF, where they allowed us to use their code.

If I understand you right (the Twitter copyright notice is at the end of
DLog's NOTICE file), we seem to be the same page.

> ASF's copyright would read the original donation date, however if
> contributions were applied to the original code base those could be updated
> to 2017.

The ASF copyright notice reflects the collection of materials, which is deemed
to be sufficiently creative to be worthy of copyright even when the collector
gathering materials together doesn't hold copyright in any of them.  It should
be updated every time that the collection changes, which basically means
changing it is justified as soon as there's a commit anywhere in the source
tree in a new year.

Marvin Humphrey