On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 11:55 PM, Li,De(BDG) <l...@baidu.com> wrote:

> Hi, Jim
>
> Thank you for your response.
> Actually, we start Palo in several years ago, and that time we developed
> the storage engine based on Mesa technology.
> Meanwhile we found Impala is a very good MPP SQL query engine, so we
> integrated them together.
>

>From what I can tell of the Palo source, it's not so much an integration as
a copied-and-modified codebase, right? i.e Palo does not use Impala as a
dependency, but rather shares a lot of code from the Impala project that
has since diverged.

> With this integration, the goal of Palo is to implement a single,
> full-featured, mysql protocol compatible data warehousing.

That sounds pretty similar to the goals of the Impala project. Impala isn't
MySQL-compatible at the moment but that seems more like a particular
feature that could be added rather than a distinct identity of the project.
Otherwise, Impala's goal is to be a full featured data warehouse engine as
well.

Generally Apache has no rules against multiple projects fulfilling similar
goals or use cases, even when those projects might compete. However I think
it would be relatively unusual to incubate a project that appears to be
derived from a fork of an existing project, at least without first
considering whether the additional feature set could be contributed back to
the existing community.

-Todd