On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 9:18 AM, Tim Armstrong <tarmstr...@cloudera.com>
wrote:

> > Meanwhile we found Impala is a very good MPP SQL query engine, so we
> integrated
> them together.
>
> Palo didn't integrate with Impala, it forked Impala's codebase and embedded
> it in its own repository. I don't remember any attempts from the Palo team
> to engage with the Impala community or attempt to work with us to
> contribute any improvements.
>
> It looks like Palo is still pulling in new code from Impala.  E.g. this
> commit includes a bunch of code I wrote as part of IMPALA-3200:
> https://github.com/baidu/palo/commit/2419384e8a211f10e7636afc6d3423
> 700ba22b5a#diff-1c501d9a8b5c3d1d1cce48d5e1fb0edf
>
> The code isn't owned by any individual, I contributed it to Apache and it's
> free for anyone to do what they want to do with it, but pulling in
> improvements from other projects without any attempt to attribute it or
> contribute improvements back seems contrary to the Apache way.

+1. Also briefly browsing the code I found suspicious commits like this one:
https://github.com/baidu/palo/commit/6486be64c319fe0beb8c6b4430c1662de54f182e

... in which a GPL license copyright by Oracle was "fixed" to be an Apache
license copyright Baidu.

So if this project does enter incubation I think we should be extra careful
to audit the origins of all of the source code.

-Todd