There is a strong presumption here that a mentor is fulfilling their duty if
and only if they sign the reports.

I’m skeptical. I can think of cases where an engaged mentor does not sign
reports (because someone else has done it), and vice versa where a disengaged
mentor shows up once a quarter to sign the report.

It may be a bit more difficult to measure, but I think a better indicator would
be the number of messages sent by the mentor to dev and private lists. It
indicates both time spent writing the message and also time spent keeping up
with the email traffic to know when the podling needs help.

Julian