Hi,

What's the main cause of a lengthy incubation period? Possibilities:

   1. Not understanding the Apache processes? This is teachable in most
   cases. Shouldn't take two years in most cases, especially if mentors guide
   the project through the release process.
   2. Contributors joining the project? Perhaps a bit of a "fashion issue"
   where people join the perceived cool projects. The hardest part here is to
   ensure independence from a single company.

Gut feel, I suspect that #2 is a lot harder than #1. It'd be interesting to
analyze contribution growth for the project that sit/sat in incubation for
a long time and then ask whether contribution growth is possible and
whether it's the only obstacle to graduation.

Stated in a different way: if there's little interest in a project's
technology but it does everything it can to attract contributors, then is
popularity a measure of whether a project is ready for graduation?

Thanks,

Gunnar

   1. Something else?

--