Hi Lars,

Just a note that this might tie in nicely to the proposal I sent to a
number of online companies: Coursera, Pluralsight, Udemy, & Udacity re:
setting up a PMC for Training.  I got only one response which so far
hasn't materialized with much.  However, I think the idea has a lot of
merit and thought I would share what I wrote back in October.

Regards,
KAM

Invitation to a Discussion Panel re: the Apache Way and a PMC Proposal
for Online Training

Kevin A. McGrail <kmcgr...@apache.org>
Tue, Oct 16, 12:46 PM

Hello All,

Over the past few years, the ASF has been approached a number of times
regarding online training/certification and working with several players
in the industry.  To date, we haven't had much luck finding a way that
works but just recently, we had another firm reach out to us.

With this additional firm and combining it with recent ASF discussions
about "central service" projects at the ASF to embrace things that are
non-code related like graphics and documentation, we might have a way
forward.

In broad strokes, the idea of creating training material presents itself
as an interesting idea for a project in the Apache Incubator.  The
Incubator is where we grow and cultivate interesting ideas towards being
top level projects.

The plan at this stage is to get interested parties to discuss the
idea.  What is needed is for a team of people to create a proposal for a
project management committee to produce this training material just like
how we produce OSS software in a vendor neutral, collaborative manner
using the Apache Way.

It's important to note that the ASF wouldn't drive this ship.  We'd help
steer it with tugboats but we have a lot of experience with successful
projects involving lots of different vendors that create value through
open source.

If the companies you represent might be able to help in doing that, I'd
like to see if it's feasible and guide you.  The first step is to setup
a meeting with interested parties to discuss things further.  Please let
me know if you would be interested and if you recommend anyone else is
invited for the meeting.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

KAM

--
Kevin A. McGrail
VP Fundraising, Apache Software Foundation