Hi Justin, it would be great if we can clarify the policy the submodule
dependencies.

Strictly speaking, these dependencies are in the form of git submodule and
they are not part of the commit tree (instead, they are pointers to the
specific version of dependency).
If we just do git clone, or tag the release, the source content of
submodule dependencies will not be part of tarball, so in some sense, they
can be excluded as the part of the release, which might help us to make an
easier release.

Tianqi