Hi,

> Is everyone just added to the list of contributors/PMC members?

In my experience for a project going via the incubator generally anyone who
asks is added (I can only recall one case where this was not the case and it
had a very large list of initial committers).

For straight to TLPs that’s not been the case but given they are fairly rare
and each different it’s going to depend.

> Now, I know some of the people who have contacted me, and I am honored that
> they chose to work with me/us on this project. Most people on here I have
> never met though and even though I may have read some names on the mailing
> list I have no way of assessing whether they are a good fit for a project.

Perhaps list out what you see as a good fit / what you are looking for in an
initial committer and let people judge themselves against that?

> On the other hand, it would be a pity to have a PMC/initial contributors
> list with inactive people and no way to "prune" it.

There is no issue with having inactive PMC members, and no project
bylaws/guidlines I’m aware are based on total number.

If you go via the incubator you can also prune the PMC on graduation by asking
who wants to stay on.

Thanks,
Justin