> On Feb 6, 2019, at 10:31 PM, Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> HI,
>
>> This was done. The issue is that the "3.0.0 outside Apache" release should
>> not be associated with Apache but with the previous project.
>
> They also made a 3.1.0 release as well and it was on the Apache github site
> (both 3.0 and 3.1 have now been removed from there).
>
>> It looks like the original repositories have been changed to redirect to
>> Apache. I'd suggest restoring the original
>> https://github.com/sharding-sphere/
>> <https://github.com/sharding-sphere/sharding-sphere.git>* repositories so
>> they don't automatically redirect to the Apache podling git repositories.
>
> I’m not so sure that's OK. It’s probably not right for a PPMC to be releasing
> software anywhere advertised to the general public that hasn’t been approved
> for release. Could a 3rd party do it sure, could they call it Sharding Sphere
> probably not.

To be clear, the ShardingSphere PPMC did not release anything. The group of
people who managed the project before it became the ShardingSphere PPMC did the
release.

The unfortunate thing is that the ShardingSphere PPMC then made the release
available on the PPMC-managed site. This is the wrong thing that needs to be
fixed. Removing the 3.x releases from the Apache site is part of the fix.
Restoring the github project that existed prior to the creation of the podling
is the other part.

I hope we can agree that there are two separate projects. One of them will be
obsolete and will disappear once Apache ShardingSphere graduates. The old
ShardingSphere will no longer have rights to the name.

Regards,

Craig

> Thanks,
> Justin