On Fri, Jun 7, 2019 at 2:00 PM Craig Russell <apache....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Justin,
>
> As a board member, I'm not comfortable with granting a blanket exception to
> policy that might put us at legal risk.
>
> As an IPMC member, I think that we do not want to allow podlings to release
> material that might put us at legal risk. I do think that the IPMC under
> today's policy has the ability to decide whether a podling release puts us at
> risk and therefore should be blocked. So I am not convinced that the IPMC
> needs to ask for this waiver from the board.
>
> My understanding as an IPMC member is that there are some items in a release
> that can be  allowed where they would not be in a TLP release. These things
> have historically drawn -1 votes from IPMC members.
>
> I think there is consensus that a podling release does not have to conform in
> every respect to what we expect from a TLP release.
>
> I think that the incubator IPMC should first flesh out (on the general@ list)
> which materials in a podling release are
> a) fine;
> b) minor issue (file a JIRA and fix before graduation); or
> c) blocker (puts the foundation at risk).
>
> The detail of what is minor versus what it a blocker is the most important
> thing that needs clarity. As of now, I don't see consensus although I see
> movement.

Drilling down by taking the contents of the draft incubator report:

"Serious problems, such as; including GPL licensed software, including
compiled code, or copyright violations, in a release is currently seen
as a reason to vote -1 on a release."

Picking them off one by one:

1) Is it legal to include GPL licensed software in releases?  The
answer is yes... as long as we comply with the terms of that license.
In the case of strong copyleft licenses, that could mean that the
podling release itself may need also be GPL licensed.

2) Is it legal to include compiled code in releases?  Yes.

3) Is it legal to include copyright violations in releases?  No.

> Craig

- Sam Ruby