HI,

We don’t have a lot of guidance for mentors on how to actually guide podlings,
but with more than 200 projects having going through the incubator guided by
100+ mentors there should be a huge amount of collective knowledge. It might be
a good idea to put this down somewhere and refine it.

So what I thought would be a good format it to describe a situation, a
suggested why to correct it, the reasoning behind why and the Apache values at
play. Sort of like the original design pattern for “A pattern language” by
Christopher Alexander, but perhaps more along the later anti-pattern lines.

I put a couple here. [1]  What would be fantastic is that if every mentor added
one or two pieces of guidance and we would have a document that included 100’s
of mentors wisdom of 15+ years that the incubator has been in existence.

Here are some other common situations, off the top of my head, just in case you
can’t think of a situation yourself:
- Discussions are happening offlist.
- Trouble making first release.
- Too much discussion on the private list.
- The PPMC not looking after the project name and brand.
- No PPMC members elected.
- Trouble attracting committers.
- Other mentors have gone missing.
- The PPMC is not signed up to the private mailing list.
- The project has a benevolent dictator.

Hint I've included a couple of ones that are easy to provide guidance on!

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/Mentor+Guidance