HI

> On Sep 5, 2019, at 11:25 AM, Nygard, Carl J <carl.nyg...@cengage.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>>> Cengage wishes to donate the code to Apache, but is unable to do so until
>>> the project is accepted as an Incubator project.
>
>> Could you expand a little on why is that?
>
> Perhaps it is an issue of understanding the path to Incubator and trying to
> deal with the corporate policies regarding open-source donation.  Donation to
> Apache seems to be the clearest path with the least number of obstacles.

Agreed. The concern is that should the SGA not happen due to internal issues at
the donating company that podling will have trouble succeeding. We’ve seen that
with a podling that took over 6 months to get an SGA and essentially lost all
its mentors.

>>> The Apache community members looking to approve the project understandably
>>> would like to better understand what they are approving and so would like
>>> to get access to the code which is to be donated.
>
>> I don’t see this a being a big issue, the other code can be donated later,
>> but may complicate things in terms of SGAs, ICLAs and IP provenance.

The issue is seeing the code to check to see if there are dependencies that
don’t fit with Apache Release Policy. Of course this is also a part of
Incubation.

> Can you expand on this?  Is there a different process for donating a large
> body of work to an existing Incubator project?

No - such a donation would be an additional SGA and/or CLA.

I have not looked deeply at your proposal, but I think the concern would be who
your mentors are and whether or not the IPMC thinks that these issues will be
handled properly.

(But I’m just another member of the IPMC and not Justin)

Regards,
Dave