Hi,

> The releases were less formal but still very strict.  The (old) releases were
> tags in the the repositories.  I kept the ReleaseNotes and tarballs on on
> both SourceForge (which NuttX originally started) and on Bitbucket at:
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/nuttx/files/nuttx/  and
> https://bitbucket.org/nuttx/nuttx/downloads/.  I kept only the latest
> releases online.

Thanks for the link I took a quick look and can see a couple of things that
will need to change. Over all it’s in good shape Apache wise other only a few
minor issue, there's two compiled files, I did notice one GPL licensed bit of
software (./tools/mkimage.sh), three other files (READMEs) refer to free
software which would need to be checked. You'll need to come up with a way of
only replacing the right headers and the licensing is going to take a some
effort to put together as I could count 160 odd distinct copyright owners in
the release. There are tools to help with this but there’s going to be some
manual boring work required. Given the number of 3rd party licenses there might
be something in there that’s not compatible with the ALv2.

> It also occurs to me that that there are a few non-standard BSD licenses from
> silicon vendors.  They have four clauses, the standard three plus one that
> states that the code can only be used on the vendor's silicon.  For me that
> is not an issue because the code is hardware specific and applies only to the
> vendor's silicon anyway.  So it states only the obvious.  But I should
> mention that too.

That could be an issue as that’s going to be a restriction of use on top of the
ALv2, however you could do what Mynewt did and ask the vendor(s) to change the
license (they mostly did), find the same or similar code under another license,
or treat it as an optional as not all users are going to require it.

Thanks,
Justin