Hi Greg :-)

On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 7:05 AM Gregory Nutt <spudan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I imagine that it will take a month or two to get the GitHub
> repositories ready for prime time.
> > The physical transfer shouldn’t take that long, fixing up all the
> headers and licenses may take longer but that’s OK when using the work in
> progress disclaimer, you can makes incubating ASF release that don’t fully
> comply with ASF policy when including that disclaimer.
> Yes, releasing with a disclaimer should work and cut the transition
> period down to a few weeks.  For that transition time, I am not thinking
> about physically moving the repositories.  That should be quick.  But
> getting the organization and workflow in place to manage commits will
> take a little time.  Everyone is new at this except me and I am the bad
> example.

I'd suggest setting a "flag day" and mark the bitbucket repository
read-only, and then clone/push a copy onto gitbox.a.o. It will then sync
over to GitHub, and work can continue with either of those repositories (GH
is easier, but there are a few who don't like the GH T&C, so elect to stick
to gitbox.a.o for work).

You can make "non-Apache" releases as you used to, just based on a
different repository. Then, one day, you can start making Apache releases.

We did this with Subversion, and Apache Subversion. We continued to make
1.6.x Subversion releases (on our old release/distro platform; based on
source in the ASF's repository), and then we started making 1.7.x Apache
Subversion releases. Eventually, our support policy EOL'd the 1.6.x line,
and all releases were just Apache Subversion releases. ... You could follow
the same pattern with NuttX releases, and Apache NuttX releases.

>> with changes pulled into the Apache Github until such time that support
> can transition seamlessly to GitHub.
> > Im not sure how easy that’s going to be, generally infra have made a
> single transfer and I’m not aware of any projects that tried this approach.
> It would require some discussion with infra to see what’s possible here.
>
> If it is not possible to automate this, then changes originated from old
> retiring Bitbucket could be handled as normal PRs.  That is not unusual.

The Apache Infrastructure team has no tooling to synchronize with
third-party git repositories. We only have tooling to keep gitbox.a.o and
GitHub in sync.

Cheers,
Greg Stein
Infrastructure Administrator, ASF