> > Isn't developing on a fork of the project and submitting a PR
considered "developed inside the project”?

    > Sure, but then you usually don’t need a software grant.

Ah, but I do.  When submitting a PR to an ASF project (e.g., [1]) I have had to
either submit an ICLA (which I have) or check a box in my PR that explicitly
states that my contribution is AL2.0 licensed which is effectively a "grant" of
permission, which you acknowledge:

    > Why you may not claim it it exists. But the ASF doesn’t mind that as long
as we have permission to use it under the Apache license and distribute it.

More to the point of this conversation, I included the project's license
headers in my contribution, rather than including my own headers and waiting
for the maintainers to review my ICLA.

    > > The only difference here is that there were multiple contributors to
that fork, and it is likely that some or all of them did so during working
hours or using equipment by a company, which normally claims IP in such
conditions; thus the explicit donation/grant.

    > Right and that is usually sorted out by those people getting permission
from their employers and signing ICLAs. Some employers may require CCLAs.

Neither you nor I know the internal Open Source contribution requirements of
Dremio corporation, nor should we need to do so.  We simply need to evaluate
whether Dremio, and the individuals involved, have granted ASF sufficient
rights.   IMO the IP clearance status document [2] makes that clear, with
appropriate due diligence to verify its contents.

    > All I was saying that having ASF headers make checking IP difficult.

In this case, "checking IP" is no more difficult than "checking IP" in any pull
request, hundreds/thousands of which occur on ASF projects each year, and none
of which require a separate license header before the PR is reviewed, and all
of which include the project's standard headers.

All I am trying to do is point out that the contribution was coordinated with
the PMC before it even started (with company representation on the PMC), with
the apparent intention of donation throughout, with the majority of changes in
already ASF-licensed files and the project's standard header added to any new
files.  This does not look like a product developed separately and eventually
donated; this looks like an intentional open source contribution before a
single line of code was written, and a nice paper-trail to back it up.

I certainly support due diligence to confirm an ICLA from each contributor and
a CCLA from the company which likely paid these developers for their work.  I
don't think headers matter much here.

[1] - https://github.com/apache/maven-compiler-plugin/pull/95/files
[2] -
https://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/arrow-flight-sql-jdbc-driver.html