I've been wondering about this as well.
It seems that we can have a rather mature project still incubating after a
number of years.
We can have active consumers relying on it but the momentum of the original
project and maintainers waned.
Multiple external forks have been made with the inability to get
contributions accepted.

In the example of Livy, action was triggered by the threat of retirement.
We certainly need an earlier flag than this.

Perhaps a specific trigger in the board report reminder email for podlings
that are getting long in the tooth that they should include various metrics:

* Graduation Status
* Community issues for both users and maintainers
   - what are the barriers of entry for each - complexity in maintenance,
language use, continued relevance, etc
* Are there known forks with extensions that would have rather contributed
back?

Based on this, some intervention with new Mentor/s to assess and guide can
be advised?

Unfortunately, this would require some oversight from the IPMC to identify
these podlings before they get too far down the abandoned road.
Maybe this is a simple report to see how long they have been incubating
though?