On Tue, 6 Dec 2022 at 16:27, Jason Porter <jpor...@ibm.com.invalid> wrote:

> > On Dec 6, 2022, at 01:43, Christofer Dutz <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Jason,
> >
> > Well, those numbers are a bit better than the initial ones.
> > Thing is: Mentors will not only have to help onboard people to Apache
> and teach them how to do things, if they are doing their job correctly,
> they should also really audit the releases being done and help get the
> codebase into shape first.
> >
> > Even with 12 sub-projects, work-wise that would put a load on the
> mentors, as if they signed up for mentoring 12 projects.
> >
> > So how about bringing in projects separately (where it makes sense)?
> There each project could have their initial PPMC and committer lists and it
> would spread out the load a bit. However I would expect staffing 12
> projects with enough work-willing mentors will still be challenging and I
> would assume not all of them to find enough of them, but it could be one
> first step.
> >
> > Or is there an advantage of considering all projects as one unity?
> >
> > Chris
> >
> > [snip]
>
> That is part of a broader question. Some of those repos are things like
> examples for kogito, the website, etc. Things that are part of the projects
> themselves, but don’t have a life outside of the project to which they
> belong. I understand we’ll probably have to collapse the structures within
> Apache and have a single repo per project. What we’re really looking at as
> far as projects being donated:
>
> Kogito
> Drools
> jBPM

I really think these should be separate projects. I realize theres a
dependency/hierarchy between them (jBPM using Drools as its rules engine
and Kogito using jBPM for its business process/workflow) - but people use
Drools without jBPM and (I assume) jBPM without Kogito. Even if the current
set of contributors all work on all three projects, the aspiration here at
Apache has to be to grow the community of contributors from the user
community which will not be completely the same for the three projects.
I've used Drools in the past, but not jBPM or Kogito.

Niall