> On Apr 28, 2024, at 9:58 AM, tison <wander4...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thank you!
>
> I found there is no rationale for these links, and thus, it's quite a bit
> challenging in memory.
>
> IIRC the closer.lua script is for selecting the most proper CDN for
> source/binary bundles in use. They can, technically, work for SHASUM and
> signatures also. Why do we use https://downloads.apache.org for the latter
> two?

Historically we had a mirror network and closer.lua picked out a mirror near
you. In order to be sure that the download source or binary on the mirror was
not altered on (or on its way to or from) the mirror, the detached signature
and checksums must be served from ASF controlled resources.

Whether or not this still makes sense is a discussion for Infra since they are
charged with enforcing and supporting the release distribution policy.

Best,
Dave