----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Stevens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2001 6:29 PM
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] J2EEUnit donation to ASF

> Thoughts and Comments:
>
> #1. IMHO, this discussion should be on [EMAIL PROTECTED] and NOT
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] I really can't understand why it was sent to PMC@
> given all the hoohaah over doing things privately. Sigh. If you are
getting
> this for the first time, look in the jakarta-commons mailing list archives
> for the original proposal. If I have to tell you were the archives are,
I'm
> going to scream. <smile>

Sorry about this mail sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED] I just did a reply to
a mail that was sent to me mentionning that I had to change the J2EEUnit
license and pmc was in copy. As I am new here I didn't know sending to pmc
was not relevant. I'm the only one to blame. This is the last mail you'll
receive from me ... :)

> #2. There is no mention in the proposal about what sort of community is
> already formed around this software. Is there just one guy working on it?
> Remember, we are not a dumping ground.

The J2EEUnit project was started on november 2000 and has been well
received. There have been more than 12,000 downloads and around 800 pages
viewed per day. It started as a one guy project (me) but there are now a few
users (I'd say around 3-4) also sending changes. Others (in the range of 20)
are sugessting changes but not doing the modifications themselves. The
majority are just end users.

> #3. Where will this project live? Is it a top level project or something
> that is under the Jakarta Commons (as suggested by only CC'ing it to the
> jakarta-commons mailing list and (3) in the proposal). If it will live
under
> the Commons project, then why is it a proposal going to the PMC@ mailing
> list? I think that this is a decision for the Commons project and not the
> overall Jakarta Project.

Again, I'm not too familiar with the different options. From the previous
discussions I have had and followed, it seems that Jakarta-Commons would the
right place. This is where I have uploaded it.

> #3. I'm worried about the name. Given that Sun owns the trademark for
"J2EE"
> and seem to take it pretty seriously, they *might* have a problem with us
> having a product with that in the name...regardless of whether not not it
is
> legal. Note, I understand he didn't have a problem with it under SF, but
the
> reality of the matter is that we are in more public view than a SF project
> is. Therefore, it matters more.

It's a pity if I have to change the name ... I would of course very much
prefer to keep it. But I can see your point. Let's wait for others to
comment on that.

> p.s. Overall, I'm +0 after the above clarifications...
>
> thanks,
>
> -jon

Thanks
And sorry for my mistakes.