Morgan Delagrange wrote:

> A common binary repository sounds like the way to go.
> There's no strict need for everbody to buy into it
> though.  If, for some reason, a new release of a JAR
> breaks a particular subproject, that subproject can
> always check in the required version of a binary
> locally.  Or ignore the common repository and check
> everything in locally, if they're dead set against the
> idea.  To me, a common repository sounds like a lot
> less work for the individual subproject owners, but
> Jakarta members are nothing if not peculiar.

The way to build a community is to actually build something that people are
interested in contributing to(*).  With this in mind, it would be really
nice is such a repository could be seeded with as many of the following as
is legally permitted:

   ejb-1_1
   j2ee_connector-1_0-pfd2
   jaas1_0
   jaf-1.0.1
   javamail-1.2
   jaxp-1.1
   jdbc2_0
   jms1.0.2
   jmx-1_0
   jndi1_2_1
   jsse1.0.2
   jta-spec1_0_1
   jts1_0

IANAL, but ISTR that it is legal to distribute jaxp but not jsse.  I'm sure
that the rest will need to be looked at on a case by case basis.

> Of course, there are administrative details to
> consider.  I would be very wary of putting anything
> approaching a beta release in the common repository.
> We would need some ground rules to make sure that
> didn't happen.

How about the following rule: non released jars must go on a branch.

- Sam Ruby