Tim Vernum wrote:

> In general, I believe that automated build/test processes are *very*
> important, an do work.
> We've got some teams using CruiseControl here, and it is doing well.
> The reasons I think that gump registers so many failures are:
>
> 1) The environment in which gump runs is not identical to the
>     environment the developers run (OS, jdk, jars, etc), and I'm
>     not sure if it is even well defined.
>    Now, given that these are supposed to be cross platform
>     java projects, that shouldn't be an issue, but it has been,
>     and will continue to be.

When has it been?

If an OS issue is found, Gump did its job.

The 'cross HEAD CVS', which is how i think of Gump, does something that
developers don't do, but should have done for them - which is early
detection of interface-ish problems.

There is nothing (other than the sloth of Daedalus) which prevents us
from adding any 'test' we want - Gump is running the Velocity testbed,
for example, which is more than interface-related, but functional as
well.

I once thought it important to setup Gump tests that specify a specific
version set (i.e. the release versions of all dependencies), but I
realize that's pointless.  Do the test once, and repeating can add no
new information.

>    Unless each developer replicates the Gump environment on his/her
>     workstation, they will not find all problems. However doing so
>     will only fix problems for that environment, so in some ways
>     leaving it slightly undefined is helpful to keep portability.

Yes.

> 2) Developers can't/don't run the tests before checkin.
>    In our situation, if you checkin something that breaks the tests,
>     you're an idiot.
>    I don't think that happens in apache, for a few reasons.
>    The primary one being that most people are doing this in the spare
>     time, and a channeling in patches from numerous sources. Forcing
>     full rebuilds with unit tests would make that channel so small that
>     work would grind to a virtual stand-still.

Not sure I buy this - Velocity has a unit test suite that has saved us
(me) in countless instances, so I know if a change has altered the gross
functional envelope that we have been able to define.

> 3) Developers can't/don't test other projects.
>    This is particularly relevant to ant, but also to some of the XML
>     and (soon) commons modules.
>    A number of build failures have been due to changes in ant.
>    Ant should continue to be free to change things as needed to make
>     ant better, and that will continue to break projects that rely
>     on specific ant features/bugs.
>    Unless the developers are going to rebuild all the dependant
>     projects everytime they make a change, then this will keep
>     happening.

Interesting topic : like any other released package/project/tool with
users, does Ant ensure that it is backwards compatible with itself, at
least on major version boundaries?

(I think it should be...)

> [SNIP]
>
> 5) Attitude.
>    Given the length of time that some projects remain broken, I guess
>    some projects don't particularly care too much. Which is a pity.
>    (Granted some projects believe they've fixed it, and that gump is
>    misbehaving, so you can't blame them for that).

> I think if it gets repositioned to fill such a role (or maybe it
> already is, and I'm misinformed) then solving (4) will be useful.
> Ultimately though, (5) is the kicker.

That's a matter of resources for (4) and time and social engineering for
(5), I think.  With an all volunteer group, I think it has to be worked
into the culture.  While you could force the issue by making it a part
of being a Jakarta project, I don't think we want to do that.

geir

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
System and Software Consulting