Hi Paulo,

>IMO Andrew puts the finger on why POI is only used on a server.

good!

>One of my 2 interests (the other is indexing)
>on POI is exactly the
>typical one he describes:
> - I want to be able build Word and Excel documents on a Web Server
>   without going back to use MS IIS and COM automation.
>
>(... even because using COM to control Word/Excel in a multithreaded
>application sounds VERY problematic and all the other methods I can
>think of are some other kind of PITA.)

You got it exactly.  Feel free to join us on the poi-devel or
poi-general-users lists (http://poi.sourceforge.net).  Apparently many
people share your interest:  The POI project climbed to #4 on the charts
today.

>Hey, for a client application, I would use Delphi or VB + COM in
>Windows and something around OpenOffice in Linux.

Complete agreement.  For a client app where you know what your client is
(and with an office doc you probably know who your client is), there
would be little reason to use POI (other than the office automation API
in VB is kind of a pain to use because its based on programmaticly
simulating the user which can be painful).  I'm not sure there would be
a reason to use Java (most things could probably be done as a big fat
Excel macro for instance).

>Hey! I am just finding out how much server side POI really is!!!

Glad that shined the light.

>Have fun,

Definitely!

>Paulo Gaspar