I believe that Jakarta will not be "Sourceforge for Java" while the
"high-quality projects with strong communities" part is enforced and there
is pressure to merge what can be merged.

And notice that I do not mean doing things like merging LogKit and Log4J.
I like to have them BOTH and they are small enough to keep it that way
while evolution takes care of finding another path.

But with larger projects that are just the same thing per definition (XML
parsers? and respective standard) it makes sense trying to unify them.
And this does not mean that alternative solutions should not be attempted
as they are in any project.

It is quite different with SourceForge.

Anyway, I just hope we keep having a SourceForge in the future. Its role
as an Open Source nursery/farm is extremely important.

Apache is just something different. It is not fair to depreciate
SourceForge.

Have fun,
Paulo