On 1/7/02 12:53 AM, "Peter Donald" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> what are you talking about ? When have I said merging incompatible
>>> communities never mattered ?
>>
>> Good try.  You said that the technologies don't matter.... (you even say it
>> above :)
>
> Sigh .. I need some of those Cheshire cat skills.
>
> The point I was trying to get across was this. I assumed you were being
> facetious ? no?

In some ways, no - I think it was stefano that said something to the order
of removing all artificial containers surrounding projects or groups of
projects.

I think that if we looked at that, we might discover that governance of
something like that would be challenging (governance could be entirely
self-governance : no implications of any sort intended...)

> I don't really care that tomcat has a native connector and daemon
> architecture, nor do I care whether xerces has a c version. Why ? Because
> they are the same community. Presumably you don't think Pier is not part of
> the tomcat project - yet he did write a c daemon architecture (and some of
> the connectors?) - does that mean his work should not be part of jakarta ?

No - this paragraph above reaches back to my unanswered questions about the
real meaning of the charter, of which a clarification was suggested which
you agreed to (removing "server"), but then I noted we would still be out of
scope (beaause of "java").

I don't care about the tech either - I mean, much of Gump is XSL, right?

I was being a bit facetious earlier on the Alexandria list - note that The
Law specifies that all code be documented according to javadoc coding
conventions.  If Sam wishes to remain in compliance with the law, his XSL
Gump code needs to be documented that way (which I don't believe possible).

My point is that the constant appeal to codified law sometimes misses the
spirit of the law, and allows it to be used as a club, which I don't like. I
admit it is my personality to err on the side of 'chaos' away from the law,
but still.

> The PHP/Perl/TCL/Httpd people on average have little involvement in the java
> development scene is my guess - I certainly haven't seen any huge crosstalk
> between them and jakarta - have you ?

Never.

I also will say I haven't seen community crosstalk between XML and Jakarta,
from the point of view as communities.  I know there are individuals who
contribute greatly to both communities, and many of us here in Jakarta
depend on XML projects.  But in the sense of us really having discussion of
cross-community issues, the only one I can recall seeing is Stefano's
request to disband PMCs because of his  issues with XML's.

> Because they work on different technologies there is unlikely to emerge any
> great collaborative works between developers as often developers specialize
> in development approach (ie java).
>
> Technologies don't matter - communitys do.

I agree - I think my statement was "Charter doesn't matter - the community
does"...

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
System and Software Consulting