I do not agree with that. More robust how?

If you want to signal that something can go wrong on the remote side, throw
an exception; if you want to signal that the remote connection does not
work, then delay the call and/or send a runtime exception.

Otherwise, what is the purpose of AltRMI? I thought it was to avoid the
cumbersomeness of throwing RemoteException all the time.

Un saludo,

Alex.