Alex,

My experience is that people either immediately decide they like AltRMI
or strongly dislike it.  One of my strongest critics (in commons mail
list) is coming round to it after much effort :-)

For many it is inline with something they have felt for ages : Remote
interface and RemoteException suck.  Many other are quite happy with RMI
as is and always have been.

AltRMI is really about remote publishing an object via it's normal Java
interfaces.  It also has local publishing capabilities for complex
classloader situations.

>I do not agree with that. More robust how?

You can set retry policies.  In the middle of a method invocation and
unknown to the caller, the connection can be reestablished.  It is a
programmable API in that the developer can choose between the two
extremes "never retry, log & fail imediately" and "retry eternally".

>If you want to signal that something can go wrong on the remote side, throw
>an exception; if you want to signal that the remote connection does not
>work, then delay the call and/or send a runtime exception.

Or a derivative (AltrmiInvocationException).  You can catch it or not.
 In the case of 'not' I'd hope the container/handler knows what to do
with it .

>Otherwise, what is the purpose of AltRMI? I thought it was to avoid the
>cumbersomeness of throwing RemoteException all the time.

It is.

I've started a project "Enterprise Object Broker" at Sourceforge to try
out the use of AltRMI. -> http://eob.sourceforge.net/
It is Apache license, and if it is any good and has built a community, I
think Jakarta would be its natural home.

- Paul H