On Sat, 2002-02-23 at 11:01, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> It is interesting that I made a similar proposal (or rather described
> the same idea) just yesterday on an unrelated mailing list, with the
> normal excuse of being too busy right now to start working in this
> direction ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/webobjects/message/45867 ). I
> guess the idea is just flying in the air :-)

I've been saying it for awhile.  I'm too busy with POI, Cocoon and
Lucene.  (Having to learn Avalon)

I'll get to it eventually I'm sure if noone else does...  Of course we
may all be C# programmers by then haha...

> > Why It Doesn't Happen
> > ...is also pretty straightforward. Individual developers
> > work on the various Jakarta projects because they have an
> > immediate, specific need for the project they're working
> > on. So that's what they do.
> > There isn't enough people around devoting energy to
> > inter-project communication to get an integration project
> > underway
> true, even though I am not a Jakarta committer, I am in a similar
> situation with my own project.

I don't think you need to be.

> > dedicated to general discussion. Sharing thoughts should
> > develop into sharing code every so often.
>
> agreed.

Thats all I need....one more mail list... *phew*

> > 2) a statement of intent in important places on the website.
> > I'm guessing that putting "we would like to see tomcat
> > integrate with avalon" on the projects' respective websites
> > would mean that such will happen sooner.
>

> Maybe this doesn't even have to be supported by individual Jakarta
> projects. Rather there can be a separate project with its own
> participants. Setting up a mailing list would help to keep design going.
> And after (if) a viable design/vision results from it, a project can be
> setup in CVS to start this big scale jakarta integration and writing any
> missing extensions.

Thats what I think!  I think it should start on sourceforge or some
similar place with its own mail lists, cvs, etc.

I think it should have *sub* distributions as well more specialized to
different areas of the *enterprise*... etc etc.

> --

www.superlinksoftware.com
                        - fix java generics!

vote.