On Sun, 2002-02-24 at 12:42, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> Ted Husted wrote:
> >
> > My concern would be that this promotes a "We are Borg" attitude.
> >

> This is exactly why I think setting up a separate project would be a
> good idea. A project that would realize the concept of a platform that
> uses open tools (as opposed to jakarta-only tools). Though of course it
> will most likely be 70-80% Jakarta based.

+1  -- I think eventually it could be brought to Jakarta if it was
successful.

> Here is a draft of proposed project description:
>
> Project XYZ (replace with a catchy name :-)) is dedicated to creation of
> development and deployment platform for Java web applications. It is
> based on other open technologies. Each one of such technologies
> specializes in a certain area of web application building, such as XML,
> HTML creation, database access, logging, Java development process
> support, etc. Project XYZ is a fusion of these technologies into a Java
> server solution that covers all parts of the spectrum. Also it
> introduces extensions (... need to be defined ...).
>
> Other project goals are:
>
> - to create a lower entry barrier for web application developers to use
> state of the art technology by providing a single full solution "that works"
> - to realize our vision of the best design and development practices
> - ....

+1

> Project goals are NOT:
>
> - to set the only acceptable way of doing things in Java
> - to reduce the importance of technologies that are not in the core of
> XYZ project

> Here is a comparison to show why such a project is needed and why this
> is a good thing. Take Linux example. How many people in the world could
> take kernel code and GNU compiler and make a system that even boots?
> With the emergence of companies like RedHat, people received this
> missing piece - packaging. It was at least as important as kernel code
> itself. And RedHat is not the only way to package Linux, so nobody
> really thinks that RedHat "stole Linux".

-1 - You'll have some issues basing a project on GNU stuff.  Legal
issues.  You have to make sure whatever it is -- is LGPL not
GPL...otherwise you'll need good lawyers to prove the GPL virus clause
invalid.

> I think here we have a similar situation - full platform solution will
> make life easier for many people, while no harm will be done to the
> foundation projects and their alternatives.

+1

-Andy

> --

http://www.superlinksoftware.com