Jakarta is developer-centric because developers are the ones who
volunteer to do the work.
They need working products to use with their paying jobs, and find that
sharing the
development load works better than going it alone.

We don't get many marketing volunteers because there is very little
payback.
More marketing generates more users, but that doesn't always translate
into more
development or better products. Sometimes more users can actually hurt
development,
since user support distracts developers from developing. (Only so many
cycles in a day.)

I do a lot of work on product documentation myself, mostly becuase I
have a mind like
a sieve, and need it for my own reference. But for most developers and
users, there is
less of a payback, since once they know the product they don't feel the
need to
document it for their own use.

Jakarta is here to build products. If someone wants to market those
products, that's
great. If volunteers want to provide commit-ready documentation, like
Phillip did, I'll
fulfill my responsibility as a committer, and post it.

But the problem now is, who's going to maintain it over the long run? If
the developers
want to, that's great, but if they don't, well, how the other committers
spend their
volunteer hours is up to them.

So, sure, some clear exposition about Jakarta would help a lot of
people. If someone has
an itch for more documentation, they should create it and share it with
the group in a
ready-to-commit format, as Phillip did. Though, I'm sure anyone ready to
do the work
doesn't need someone else to suggest the idea.

Jakarta cannot be anything by design; it can only be what the volunteers
make it.

-- Ted Husted, Husted dot Com, Fairport NY US
-- Developing Java Web Applications with Struts
-- Web: http://husted.com/struts