> There was a discussion about an enterprise distribution of jakarta and
        > other open-source java technologies some time back on this list that
        > resulted in starting "oed" project on SourceForge [which is pretty much
        > dead at the moment :-( ].

        Which may suggest that there's more to solving this problem than meets the
        eye..

        I'm nervous about tackling it because I think that it would take a massive
        effort to gain the kind of acceptance it would need to be worthwhile..

It would be a real shame for the lack of an total automated solution to lead
to the lack of a simple manual solution. If administrators can manually
check the explicit version of a JAR, rather than comparing sizes/datestamps,
that would be a major improvement over today. Correctly version stamping
JARs (using ANT today, or ANT future) would make operational configuration a
lot less "throw a pile of JARs together and pray..."

I still believe a simple Version bean would be very powerful, and easy to
adopt, but since nobody's taken up what I've written then I guess I'm not
proposing anything original/compelling, and that perhaps this is a road
already travelled w/o end success. If there is a forum where folk feel a
complete proposal [for just a version/version dependency class, nothing
more] might be worthwhile please let me know, otherwise I'll go back to
lurking. Thanks in advance.

regards,

Adam