So, I'm kind of curious what the general consensus is regarding this.  Seems to be in
various directions.

Travis

---- Original Message ----
From: Jeff Schnitzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: 2002-04-24
To: Jakarta General List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: Subproject Proposal - crossdb

> From: Jon Scott Stevens [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>
> on 4/22/02 12:19 AM, "Leo Simons" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > While these may not be accurate summaries, I hope you now do see
that
> > CrossDB and Torque are not, in the majority of use cases,
alternatives
> > to one another.
>
> I'm sorry. I don't see that. Torque can do everything crossdb can do
and
> more.

Uhhh:  Outer joins?  Fetch data across multiple objects?  Aggregation
queries?

Torque is an O/R mapping framework, with all of the inherent limitations
of trying to make relational data look like objects.  Crossdb is a
database-independent abstraction of SQL (not JDBC, that's an important
distinction!).

These are not competitive facilities; in fact they should be highly
complementary.  At the moment, Torque's extremely limited Criteria
object has a tough time with simple conditions like "WHERE bob > 5 and
bob < 10".  Subqueries and joins are hopeless.

Crossdb is what Torque desperately needs - a good database-independent
way of specifying sophisticated conditions.  The WhereClause in Crossdb
could be substituted wholesale for Criteria.

And for those of us that have to query our databases and obtain results
which do not map 1-to-1 with a single object (such as anything that
involves a group by or an outer join), we can bypass Torque and still
have database independence.

I think both Torque and Crossdb (if it has the community) are very much
needed as top-level Jakarta projects.  They are both bread-and-butter
server development tools.  Putting Crossdb under Torque makes about as
much sense as putting Torque under Turbine.

Oh, and Jon, the comparison with ECS is not very good.  Web pages are a
creative endeavor, whereas SQL statements are short and built by
hard-core programmers.  Also, simple HTML does not suffer from the
problem of every web browser on the planet requiring a slightly
different syntax for putting columns in a table... Velocity might be
less useful if a separate template had to be written for every single
web browser.

Jeff Schnitzer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]