on 2002/10/8 2:32 PM, "Leo Simons" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> I recently spent a couple weekend nights and built the
>> StudioZ.tv website in PHP4 on OSX.
>
> Hey, that looks like maven! :P

Actually, it looks like CollabNet's SourceCast. Scarab looks like SourceCast
and Maven looks like Scarab. =)

> We use PHP all the time (I sometimes call it "InstantCMS") and
> it is a great tool for whacking up a dynamic website. It's just
> that creating enterprise SOAP services in it that talk to oracle
> on one side and delphi clients on the other is painful. Or
> running a site with like 10,000,000 articles and as many
> visitors/day.

It is more than that though...it is about long term code design and
maintainability. My pages are FULL of code...that is just evil. Even worse
is that there is no way around that unless I use a template system within
PHP! Yuck!

If I want to have a central repo of functions and classes to use, I have to
include the entire file just to get at one function (or embed each function
in a different file which sucks just as badly). Yuck!

If I want a database connection, I have to include a file to get it. Yuck.

Interestingly enough, I did write a quick little framework that works very
similar to Turbine and has the same concept of users/roles/permissions. =)

> There's several more things...I just always remember that PHP
> used to stand for Personal Home Page =)

Which is when I originally started using it (pre 1.0 days). =)

-jon

--
StudioZ.tv /\ Bar/Nightclub/Entertainment
314 11th Street @ Folsom /\ San Francisco