Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

I've never heard this other interperatation outside of the ASF. I'll put more research into the issue and get back to you.
I know that all of the developers that use LGPL that I know of think that the jar binaries can be used with no problem at all in any type of code, including ASF.

If it's not the case, we should IMHO help them be aware that it's not the case.
Or at the very least until the ASF changes its unique interperetation, just ask the authors for a disclaimer *like* (but not exactly like) on the CLASSPATH project (which is GPL). Honestly I'm not exactly sure under the ASF interperatation what the difference between GPL or LGPL is. (This is why I find this interperation so doubtful) While some authors will probably be like "What's the point, thats why its LGPL?" some will probably cooperate.
There is a clear difference between LGPL and GPL for languages which have a clearly defined concept of "link". Languages such as "C".

"
Classpath is licensed under the terms of the GNU General Public License with the following special exception.

As a special exception, the copyright holders of this library give you permission to link this library with independent modules to produce an executable, regardless of the license terms of these independent modules, and to copy and distribute the resulting executable under terms of your choice, provided that you also meet, for each linked independent module, the terms and conditions of the license of that module. An independent module is a module which is not derived from or based on this library. If you modify this library, you may extend this exception to your version of the library, but you are not obligated to do so. If you do not wish to do so, delete this exception statement from your version.
"
Define "link".

If you were subscribed to [EMAIL PROTECTED], you would have already seen the following:

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?[EMAIL PROTECTED]&msgId=641442
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?[EMAIL PROTECTED]&msgId=641503

-Andy
- Sam Ruby