Jeffrey Dever wrote:

> I am not excited by the idea of only PMC members voting on releases to
> the exclusion of active committers.  I'm the release prime for Commons

It is not "to the exclusion" of active committers.

Http-client is part of jakarta-commons - and acording to the charter any
jakarta-commons committer ( which is close to all jakarta ) can vote.

As you probably know - only those who are really interested do that.

I agree that we're not yet ready to have PMC votes on releases - we need
to expand the PMC and include more people. Even when this will happen,
I think the committer votes should be counted as well.

At least for jakarta-commons - the difference will be insignifiant.

> The new group of committers has really risen up out of the ashes of the
> old HttpClient which became quite idle over the first half of last year.
>  These new committers are what makes HttpClient move forward, and I
> cringe at the thought of taking some, any,  responsibility away from
> them, away from us.

Think of this in terms of a larger "us". By beeing part of jakarta-commons,
http client is already a part of a very large "us", almost as wide as
jakarta.

In all cases - the responsibilty stays with the people who chose to be
involved. That can include jakarta PMC ( most of the pmc is already
committer on jakarta-commons anyway - so that means absolutely no change).

As active http client committers join the PMC - they'll be able to
assume more responsibility.

Costin