In the case of the javadoc directories (docs/api...), we are not interested
in being able to recover any of the files.

Most of the docs directory was likewise populated with files that were
generated from xdocs.

> As this is only a problem with the CVS browser, do you really consider
> removing the directories necessary?

Apart from the wasted space (perhaps not a big deal), the empty directories
do seem to affect synchronisation.

I'm using Eclipse 2.1.1, in case that is relevant here.

Although there are no files in the directories in CVS, the same directories
are needed in the local build environment - they are created and populated
when building Javadoc and the manual.

When synchronising, the whole docs tree is checked.

The top-level dir (docs) is in .cvsignore, so that is not flagged as being
out of synch, but all the subdirectories and files are compared, and the
result is that all the contents are shown as being new files.

This does not happen with a directory that is not in CVS (e.g.
printable_docs) - so long as the directory is in the parent .cvsignore, the
whole directory tree is ignored.

I suppose we could rename the docs directory in the build file and whereever
else it is used - but that is a kludge.

S.