On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> The more I see of this discussion, the more convinced I am that the
> sub-projects of Jakarta should be run like "mini-TLPs". We want to
> leverage the marketing power of the Jakarta brand, the experience of the
> other Jakarta developers, and some infrastructure support (web page,
> CVS, mailing lists, wiki).

I would have embraced that idea a year ago, but when discussed it was said
to not be an option to have a hierarchy of PMCs below the Jakarta PMC of 7
members. Now that Jakarta is breaking up, I believe it should continue the
process so that Jakarta can discover a new role.

Either it would roll back to the old style as Tomcat + friends, or would
become the Java-Foundry for Apache [a la Sourceforge], or would become
Jakarta Commons, or both of the latter two. Dunno what other visions there
might be out there for Jakarta-2004.

> However, this idea that the PMC should manage individual projects as
> diverse as Tapestry, Lucene, ORO and BCEL is, to me, a losing
> proposition. I can't even envision what it means to "manage" these
> projects.  To me, management is primarily about allocating scarce
> resources. For all these projects, the scarce resource is developer time
> and effort, and that is administered by each developer individually.

I think it's less about allocating, as being aware of all issues.
Alexandria has been dormant/dead for ages, and someone should have been
trying to archive it for ages.

The Jakarta Commons charter is no longer true, especially with Incubator
now in existence and someone ought to be worried about that.

The Jakarta website is quite a mess and the mirrors are only now being
happily handled [though a lot of places aren't using the # named anchors,
which seems to irritate users]. Someone should be responsible to the board
for that.

> >From my point of view, the Jakarta PMC should be encouraging the
> >individual projects to operate in a professional fashion, to provide
> >advice when asked, to keep tabs on projects sufficiently to verify that
> >they are operating as a healthy meritocracy ... and that's about it.
>
> I think Jakarta will choose its own direction, as new projects come into
> existence and old ones either move on, or fade out (ECS, anybody?).

God no. I still happily use ECS. Very nice separation of view when I've
written a single servlet prototype to do some kind of feature.

Jakarta does need to move in its own direction though, and I think the
first step in this is for the community to decide what 'Jakarta' means
now/in the future.

> Obviously, something is afoot ... otherwise, why are healthy projects
> moving out of Jakarta, up to the top level (Ant, Maven and now logging)?
> Is that the destiny of Jakarta, to be a second-level incubator for
> projects on the way to TLP status?  If so ... embrace that.

As far as I know, there is much ASF community resistance to Jakarta
continuing to be an Incubator. We're no longer anywhere near server-side
Java at ASF. Basically we are now:  "What's left of the old server-side
Java project at ASF, but a bit confused about it all".

Hen