Hi,
I agree with one Noel, Henri, and Danny have said.

For interest's sake, let me explain what's been happening with Watchdog,
as I think it's a useful example for other "graveyard" or "end-of-life"
scenarios.

We use Watchdog as part of the tomcat release process.  When Ant 1.6 was
released and the launcher class split from ant.jar into
ant-launcher.jar, the watchdog run in ant 1.6 was broken.  It works fine
in Ant 1.5 and earlier, but we want to use Ant 1.6 to build tomcat.  So
the workaround now is a manual process whereby the person building
tomcat has to copy ant-launcher.jar into the lib directory of watchdog.
A tiny change to the Watchdog build.xml would fix this, and I've
submitted a Bugzilla enhancement request with the patch.  But there's no
one to act on my request, leaving us in a situation where we either use
an older ant or do the manual copy (or hack the tomcat build file in an
ugly way to accommodate watchdog's build problems).

Yoav Shapira
Millennium Research Informatics

Ever.
>> didn't really agree with closing java.apache.org.  Although I do
agree
>with
>> closing that domain, in retrospect, I'd have moved the content to
>Jakarta.
>> In my view, dormant projects should have their scm resources left in
>place,
>> and can have their mailing addresses reflected to a communal list,
such
>as
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (or community@, although I a separate
address
>> might be better).
>
>I think you're right, remember that we do need to have someone
somewhere
>answerable to the board and with oversight over any project which has
>public resources, whether it is active, maintenance only or unsupported
>end-of-life.
>
>To that end a dis-incubator seemed like a good idea around the time the
>apache incubator was formed.
>
>It would have a lot less to do, probably little more than list
moderation,
>but it would give people the comfort feel that someone somewhere would
be
>alerted to potential "issues" with projects which no longer have or
need a
>community. If enough interest is shown in a retired project it can be
>re-vitalised by a visit to the incubator..
>
>FWIW I would be happy to volunteer my time for this.
>
>d.

****
>The information in this e-mail is confidential and for use by the
>addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient (or
responsible
>for delivery of the message to the intended recipient) please notify us
>immediately on 0141 306 2050 and delete the message from your computer.
You
>may not copy or forward it or use or disclose its contents to any other
>person. As Internet communications are capable of data corruption
Student
>Loans Company Limited does not accept any  responsibility for changes
made
>to this message after it was sent. For this reason it may be
inappropriate
>to rely on advice or opinions contained in an e-mail without obtaining
>written confirmation of it. Neither Student Loans Company Limited or
the
>sender accepts any liability or responsibility for viruses as it is
your
>responsibility to scan attachments (if any). Opinions and views
expressed
>in this e-mail are those of the sender and may not reflect the opinions
and
>views of The Student Loans Company Limi!
> ted.
>
>This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for
the
>presence of computer viruses.

and notify the sender.  Thank you.